Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the Professional Directory for?
Who is listed on the Professional Directory?
Nothing comes up when I search for a particular service?
How do I register for the Professional Directory?
I am already registered on the Professional Directory, how do I update my details?
Who uses ecological consultants?
What services do ecologists provide?
What are the benefits of engaging a consultant registered on the CIEEM Professional Directory?
The Professional Directory allows anyone to locate professional Ecologists and Environmental Managers according to location and expertise. Once a suitable professional has been located, they can be contacted for advice or ecological services such as consultancy, surveying and report writing.
Only Associate, Full Members and Fellows of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM) can be listed on the directory. Details about CIEEM membership. All those listed on the directory are fully insured for the work they carry out, and undertake at least 20 hours of CPD/training per year. This means that, as well as adhering to the CIEEM Code of Professional Conduct, they are experienced and knowledgeable to the latest industry standards.
Try widening the search area as there may not be anyone listed in the Professional Directory that is within your specified distance. Please note that most ecologists and environmental managers are happy to travel for work.
All Fellow, Full and Associate CIEEM members can register for the directory. Further information and to register >>
You can log in to the members area of the CIEEM website and update your keywords and other information from there. If you wish to update your contact details, please contact the Membership Team on 01962 868626 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Consultant ecologists provide services to both the public and private sectors. Typically their clients include:
- Local authorities;
- Statutory Nature Conservation Organisations;
- private businesses, small or large;
- house builders and development companies (in the both the residential and commercial sectors);
- private individuals and community groups; and
- other professionals seeking specialist ecological advice.
Consultant ecologists offer services on a wide range of ecological, planning, and development matters. Some of the more common services include:
- BREEAM/ Code for Sustainable Homes Assessment
- Ecological Impact Assessment (EcIA)
- Ecological Clerk of Works (ECoW)
- Ecological Survey and Monitoring
- Invasive Species Management
- Phase 1 Habitat Survey
- Protected Species Survey and Management
- Renewable Energy
Consultant ecologists also offer advice/expertise on more specialised ecological matters including:
- working on specific habitats - terrestrial, freshwater or marine; and/or
- work with specific species (including European Protected Species where a licence may be needed), such as amphibians and reptiles, small mammals, flowering plants etc.
Consultant ecologists on the directory are able to offer their clients:
- a wide range of specialist skills and experience;
- adherence to the CIEEM Code of Professional Conduct, which is supported by Disciplinary Regulations;
- holding of Professional Indemnity Insurance appropriate to the projects undertaken;
- undertaking relevant continuing professional development, maintained up-to-date;
- confidence of working with a professional ecologist/environmental manager; and
- membership of the leading ecological institute, which promotes excellence in professional practice.