What Is An Ecologist?
There are general qualities, such as self motivation, teamwork, computer literacy and communicating and negotiating skills, which are necessary for most areas of work, but special qualities are needed for success in ecological work.
These extra skills include:
- a fascination with animals and plants;
- a thorough knowledge of the functioning of natural systems;
- good academic qualifications in biological or environmental subjects;
- expertise in one or more groups of living organisms;
- the facility to infect others with enthusiasm about the natural world;
- enjoyment of fieldwork;
- the staying power needed to complete tedious and sometimes uncomfortable tasks in field or laboratory; and
- an objective approach to conservation issues.